August 17, 2007
Meatloaf, nothing fancy about it. I’ve made it plenty of times but it never turned out quite right. It was always too dry or too plain for my taste. I saw the recipe for this meatloaf on a website that I visit often. It sounded really good so I figured I would give it a try to see how it compared to my previous mediocre meatloaves. I knew I’d be busy tonight trying to do a hundred things to get ready to go on a weekend trip so I started this cooking in the crockpot this morning before I went to work. Well I’m so glad I gave this recipe a try. It was moist on the inside with a slightly chewy crust on the outside and the sauce was sweet and tangy. My husband said it was “wonderful!” which always makes me feel good. If you are looking for a good meatloaf recipe you should definitely give this one a second look. I served this with mashed potatoes and peas.
|2/3||cup fine dry breadcrumbs|
|2||tablespoons grated onions|
|1/2||teaspoon ground sage|
|1 1/2||lbs lean ground beef|
|2||tablespoons brown sugar|
|1||teaspoon dry mustard|
|1/4||teaspoon ground nutmeg|
- Combine eggs with milk, bread crumbs,onion,salt,and sage,and meat.
- Mix well and shape into a 9×5 in.
- rectangle or oval.
- Carefully place into slowcooker pot.
- Cook on low for about 6-7 hrs.
- Combine sauce ingredients and pour over meat loaf and cook on high for about 15 minutes.
I added chopped green and red peppers, 2 cloves garlic, some red pepper flakes and parsley flakes in the mix too.
Original Source: Nestie tbrp2005 (Trisha)
* I pretty much halved this recipe, except for the sauce, and it was the perfect amount for 2 people with just a little left over. I also didn’t add sage because I didn’t have any. I added a couple dashes of worcestershire sauce to the sauce as well.