My first homemade chocolate cake!!
June 5, 2007
This was my first attempt at homemade chocolate cake and it was a success!! I was worried about it being dry, sticking in the pan, or falling apart. But thankfully everything turned out great! It was very moist and the frosting recipe I used was the perfect compliment to it. It’s not the prettiest cake but it tastes awesome which is what really counts!!
Dark Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 3 – 9 inch round cake pans. In medium bowl, pour boiling water over cocoa, and whisk until smooth. Let mixture cool. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at time, then stir in vanilla. Add the flour mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture. Spread batter evenly between the 3 prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Allow to cool.
*I used a bundt cake pan instead of 3 round pans. It took about an hour to bake.
- 1/4 cup margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- In a large bowl, beat margarine and cocoa together until combined. Add milk and vanilla; beat until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until desired consistency is achieved. Adjust with more milk or confectioners’ sugar if necessary.
*After reading the reviews on the website I got the recipe from I made a couple alterations. I used 3 cups confectioners’ sugar and 3/4 cup cocoa powder. It made a great frosting!
Original recipes from allrecipes.com